Suzuki Royal Oak Institute of Music is a non-profit community music school founded in 1991 by its present Executive Director, Mark Mutter. The institute has grown to become the premier center for instrumental music education in the region, with 10 teachers providing instruction in violin, viola, cello, classical guitar, and piano. SRO uses the principles of the Suzuki method to teach students ages 3-18 from around Metro Detroit, and also welcomes adults for private study.
SRO students meet weekly with a private teacher, as well as in a group class with other students of their instrument. As they progress, optional electives in music theory, chamber music or orchestra may be added.
Students also perform regularly in solo recitals, group concerts, and performances in the community. Over the years, our advanced Tour Group has performed in 14 different European countries, and in US venues around the Midwest, across New England, and at Disney World. We are excited about our upcoming encore performance at Carnegie Hall in April 2018!
New students are accepted year-round. Learn more about Suzuki music education and sign up for a free Parent Information Class in our Prospective Families section.
VALUES and GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Every child can learn;
- Excellence and beauty are worth pursuing for their own sake;
- Musical education is a commitment on the level of other educational endeavors;
- Communities are enriched when the arts are thriving.
SRO exists to provide:
- An excellent musical education taught by accomplished faculty with exceptional program content and superb performance opportunities;
- Highly trained SAA-registered instructors who can provide comprehensive instruction for ages 3-18;
- An organizational culture of continual self-improvement;
- A cooperative learning environment between the parent, teacher and student;
- A whole child education which inspires a lifelong love of learning;
- A climate of respect and dignity;
- A safe and non-competitive environment which creates positive experiences, increases confidence, and builds character.